Cycling in the Isle of Wight
|High winds, open skies! – Freshwater Loop from Wootton||Difficult|
|Bembridge Harbour – Red Squirrel trail Loop from East Cowes||Intermediate|
|Red Squirrel trail – Red Squirrel Trail Loop from Sandown||Intermediate|
|Undercliff Drive – Needles Loop from St. Lawrence||Difficult|
The Military Road is a real highlight of the Isle of Wight, and riding the full length of it from Chale to Freshwater Bay is something of a ‘bucket list’ item for visiting road cyclists. This route starts at Ryde again, heading south to the hills of Ventnor, and onwards over Blackgang Road for the first of two ascents on the route.
- 1 How long does it take to cycle around the Isle of Wight?
- 2 Is the Isle of Wight good for cycling?
- 3 Can you cycle around the Isle of Wight in a day?
- 4 What is the best cycle route planner?
- 5 How much is a ferry to Isle of Wight?
- 6 Where is best to stay on the Isle of Wight?
- 7 Is Isle of Wight hilly?
- 8 Can I take my bike on the Isle of Wight ferry?
- 9 How many miles is it around the Isle of Wight?
- 10 What is the perimeter of the Isle of Wight?
- 11 Where are the red squirrels on the Isle of Wight?
- 12 Can you take bikes on the hovercraft?
- 13 Is Komoot worth paying for?
- 14 How do I plan a cycling route?
- 15 What is the best free cycling app?
How long does it take to cycle around the Isle of Wight?
The Island is tailor-made for great cycling, with over 200 miles of cycle routes through some of the most scenic countryside in the UK. It’s as little as a short 22 minute ferry crossing from Portsmouth, a 40 minute crossing from Lymington and an extra 10 minute on top of that if you’re coming from the New Forest.
Is the Isle of Wight good for cycling?
The Isle of Wight celebrates its highly reputed status as one of the top cycling destinations in the world. Not only are we home to some of the UK’s best scenery, we also have around 200 miles of cycle tracks, byways and bridleways for you to explore.
Can you cycle around the Isle of Wight in a day?
Experienced cyclists can circumnavigate the island in a day but there’s much more to explore, with lovely bike trails and viewpoints in the interior too. The island is a perfect place for family bike rides too, with a great selection of gentle trails and the all-important ice cream shops at regular intervals in summer.
What is the best cycle route planner?
The 7 Best Cycling Mapping & Route Planning Apps
- 1 About Cycling Route Planning & Mapping Apps.
- 2 1. Google Maps.
- 3 2. Komoot.
- 4 3. Bikemap.
- 5 4. Bike Citizens.
- 6 5. Cyclers Navigation.
- 7 6. Bicycle Route Navigator.
- 8 7. BikeMaps.org.
How much is a ferry to Isle of Wight?
Isle of Wight car ferry prices vary. In winter you might pay as little as £40 to take a car and up to 6 or 7 passengers – potentially just £6 per person return. Most summer visitors pay somewhere around £100, although peak fares occasionally reach nearly £200 during school holidays.
Where is best to stay on the Isle of Wight?
10 best places to stay on the Isle of Wight
- Shanklin – best for walkers.
- Cowes – best for history buffs.
- Sandown – best for young families.
- Ryde – best for beach lovers.
- Ventnor – best for group getaways.
- Carisbrooke – best for nature lovers.
- Wootton Bridge – best for romantic getaways.
- Newport – best for short breaks.
Is Isle of Wight hilly?
The South Wight is very hilly with plenty of chances to test out the strength of the first gear in your car but the Isle of Wight does not have a mountain. The highest point is at St Boniface (see map below), which is (according to a couple of sources) 241m high. According to Wikipedia, that makes it a Marilyn.
Can I take my bike on the Isle of Wight ferry?
Yes, you can. Bikes are free of charge to take on board when you buy a foot passenger ticket. You can now book in advance as a foot passenger with a bike, this is recommended during busy times of the year.
How many miles is it around the Isle of Wight?
The Isle of Wight coastal path is about 70 miles.
What is the perimeter of the Isle of Wight?
The Isle of Wight Coastal Path (or Coastal Footpath) is a circular long-distance footpath of 70 miles (113 km) around the Isle of Wight, UK.
Where are the red squirrels on the Isle of Wight?
Where to find red squirrels on the Isle of Wight
- Osborne House.
- Robin Hill Country Park.
- The Garlic Farm.
- Borthwood Copse.
- Newport to Cowes Cycle Track.
- Shanklin Chine and Village.
Can you take bikes on the hovercraft?
The hovercraft can carry one wheelchair per crossing and allows pets to travel with their owners. Up to four bikes are allowed, subject to other freight and luggage and are provided on a first come- first served basis.
Is Komoot worth paying for?
There’s good routing, a heap of curated and automatically generated content, and when you’re out and about the navigation is very good, with the voice turn-by-turn the only one I’ve used that really does the job on the bike. For a single one-off payment that’s less than a new front tyre, it’s a decent investment.
How do I plan a cycling route?
Plan Your Bike Ride
- Type the address or name of your starting point into the search field on Google Maps.
- The directions icon opens up the route planning features in Google Maps.
- Click the cycling mode icon.
- Click the up-and-down arrow icon to reposition the starting point.
What is the best free cycling app?
7 free cycling apps
- Best app for tracking your activity – Strava.
- Best app for route planning – CycleStreets.
- Best app for sharing your route with friends – Map My Ride.
- Best app for scheduling your rides – Cyclemeter.
- Best app for accurate weather forecasts – Rain Alarm.
- Best app for first aid – First Aid for Cyclists.