- 1 How long does it take to cycle the North Coast 500?
- 2 How long does the Scotland 500 take?
- 3 What is the 500 route in Scotland?
- 4 Can you cycle the NC500?
- 5 How long does it take to cycle around Scotland?
- 6 Is the North Coast 500 signposted?
- 7 Can you see Northern Lights in Scotland?
- 8 Where should I stay on the Scottish 500?
- 9 Where can I camp for free in Scotland?
- 10 What is the best time to visit Scotland to avoid midges?
- 11 What is the best road trip in Scotland?
- 12 How far is Scotland’s Route 66?
- 13 How do I plan an nc500 trip?
How long does it take to cycle the North Coast 500?
This 500-mile loop around the North Highland coast is perfect cycling country. Unless, like adventurer, broadcaster and Cycling UK member Mark Beaumont, you do it in 38 hours.
How long does the Scotland 500 take?
The minimum number of days we’d recommend to drive the North Coast 500 is 5 days, but 7 to 10 days would be ideal. If you plan to speed around, you could do it with 3 full days and night, but we’d recommend more time.
What is the 500 route in Scotland?
The North Coast 500 is a 516-mile (830 km) scenic route around the north coast of Scotland, starting and ending at Inverness Castle. The route is also known as the NC500 and was launched in 2015, linking many features in the north Highlands of Scotland in one touring route.
Can you cycle the NC500?
The North Coast 500 is a challenge of terrain and variable weather and the leisurely pace gives you time to stop and enjoy the landscape and experience this unique environment and it’s communities. Hire a bike with Ticket to Ride in Inverness at the start of your trip.
How long does it take to cycle around Scotland?
Most will take a week to ride it, although Scottish adventurer Mark Beaumont holds a record for the route of just 38 hours. The circular route can be completed clockwise or anti-clockwise and meanders through the counties of Caithness, Sutherland and Ross-shire.
Is the North Coast 500 signposted?
Is the North Coast 500 Signposted? Weirdly, no! I recently found out that in order to get brown tourist signs in Scotland you have to have a five-star rating. No one comes back from the NC500 saying they had a bad time!
Can you see Northern Lights in Scotland?
When is the best time to see the Northern Lights in 2021? You can actually see them in the UK and Scotland is one of the best places to see the Northern Lights (also known as the aurora borealis).
Where should I stay on the Scottish 500?
North Coast 500 Hotels: Inverness
- Kingsmills Hotel.
- Rocpool Reserve Hotel.
- Bunchrew House Hotel.
- Apartments, Private Rooms, & Self-Catering Cottages along the North Coast 500.
- Boath House Hotel.
- Tulloch Castle Hotel.
- Kincraig Castle Hotel.
- Mansfield Castle Hotel.
Where can I camp for free in Scotland?
Scotland’s top 10 wild camping spots
- Peanmeanach Beach, Ardnish.
- Quiraing, Isle of Skye.
- Rackwick Bay, Orkney.
- Gleann na Muice, Fisherfield.
- Kilmory Bay, Isle of Rum.
- Bonaly Reservoir, near Edinburgh.
- Barrisdale, Knoydart.
- Glenfeshie, Cairngorms National Park.
What is the best time to visit Scotland to avoid midges?
Come between late September and late May
If you arrive in Scotland, before the weather has warmed up too much you are unlikely to see many midges. Also if you visit in May or early September, you are also likely to encounter the best weather conditions Scotland has to offer.
What is the best road trip in Scotland?
Six of Scotland’s Best Road Trips
- Snow Roads Scenic Route. visitcairngorms. Glenshee.
- South West Coastal 300. visitsouthwestscotland. Mull of Galloway.
- North Coast 500. ampavlidou. Scotland.
- North East 250. neil_donald_ Balmedie Beach.
- The Argyll Coastal Route. amygraceangel. Lodge on Loch Lomond.
- The Borders Historic Route. abbotsfordscott.
How far is Scotland’s Route 66?
Although the 516-mile route pulls on centuries of legendary history, its more formal incarnation as the North Coast 500 launched in 2015 as part of the North Highland Initiative, an innovative effort to deepen sustainable tourism in these remote communities.
How do I plan an nc500 trip?
Tips for Planning a Trip along the North Coast 500
- Plan Ahead. The North Coast 500 is becoming more popular each year and it is wise to plan ahead to make the most of your trip.
- Figure Out What You Want to See.
- Choose your Lodging in Advance.
- Pack Well for your Trip.
- Be a Safe Driver.
- Be a Responsible Traveler.