- 1 Is there a cycle path along the Thames?
- 2 Is cycling in London dangerous?
- 3 How do I find good cycling routes?
- 4 Which is the best cycle route planner?
- 5 Can you walk the length of the Thames?
- 6 Are there bike lanes in London?
- 7 How do I start cycling in London?
- 8 How many cyclists die a year in London?
- 9 Is biking to work worth it?
- 10 What is the best free cycling app?
- 11 Are strava routes free?
- 12 Does Google Maps have cycle routes?
- 13 Is Komoot worth paying for?
- 14 How do I plan a walking route?
- 15 How do I plan a route with Komoot?
Is there a cycle path along the Thames?
Cycling along the river Thames
Most of London’s Thames-side cycle route is on the Thames Path National Trail. This path is one of the 19 designated national trails in the UK. This excludes cyclists from riding there unless they have permission from the landowner.
Is cycling in London dangerous?
There is a risk of injury any time you cycle on the road and it is true that in London, that risk is greater than in many parts of the country – but in real terms, cycling in London is statistically very safe.
How do I find good cycling routes?
Seven ways to find great new places to ride
- Take an unfamiliar side road.
- Explore your local area using Google Street View.
- Take a look at local riders’ routes on Strava.
- 10 climbs from around the world you haven’t heard of.
- Join a local rider on a ride.
- Join a cycling club.
- Ride a sportive.
- Good old-fashioned OS map.
Which is the best cycle route planner?
The 7 Best Cycling Mapping & Route Planning Apps
- 1 About Cycling Route Planning & Mapping Apps.
- 2 1. Google Maps.
- 3 2. Komoot.
- 4 3. Bikemap.
- 5 4. Bike Citizens.
- 6 5. Cyclers Navigation.
- 7 6. Bicycle Route Navigator.
- 8 7. BikeMaps.org.
Can you walk the length of the Thames?
The Thames Path is a National Trail following the River Thames from its source near Kemble in Gloucestershire to the Thames Barrier at Charlton, south east London. It is about 184 miles (296 km) long. The Thames Path’s entire length can be walked, and a few parts can be cycled.
Are there bike lanes in London?
Cycleways are routes that link communities, businesses and destinations across London in one cycle network. They used to be called Cycle Superhighways and Quietways. We’re creating 450km of new Cycleways by 2024 so that more Londoners will live near the cycle network.
How do I start cycling in London?
There’s a few easy things you can do, though, to get yourself started and cycle confidently and safely on London’s streets. Give cycle hire a try. If you want to get a feel for cycling in London, cycle hire is a good way to do it without an expensive bike rental. Dotted around the city are cycle hire stands.
How many cyclists die a year in London?
125 deaths on London roads, and more kids cycling injured
New data shows that 125 people were killed and 3,780 people were seriously injured on London’s roads last year, as Caroline Russell AM calls for lower speeds to prevent yet more deaths and injuries.
Is biking to work worth it?
Becoming a bike commuter might seem daunting, but the benefits can be worth it: exercising regularly, saving money, decreasing your carbon footprint, absolving yourself of guilt over that break-room doughnut. “For many bike commuters, it’s one of the few times of the workday when we have control over what we’re doing.”
What is the best free cycling app?
7 free cycling apps
- Best app for tracking your activity – Strava.
- Best app for route planning – CycleStreets.
- Best app for sharing your route with friends – Map My Ride.
- Best app for scheduling your rides – Cyclemeter.
- Best app for accurate weather forecasts – Rain Alarm.
- Best app for first aid – First Aid for Cyclists.
Are strava routes free?
Yes, Strava is a free app. There is no cost to record and share activities. To make the most of Strava, explore a Strava subscription and the extra features we offer.
Does Google Maps have cycle routes?
Routes customized for cyclists are also available on the Google Maps mobile app on Android and iOS. To get there, enter a destination, tap the Directions option, and then choose the bicycle icon at the top to switch away from the other travel modes.
Is Komoot worth paying for?
There’s good routing, a heap of curated and automatically generated content, and when you’re out and about the navigation is very good, with the voice turn-by-turn the only one I’ve used that really does the job on the bike. For a single one-off payment that’s less than a new front tyre, it’s a decent investment.
How do I plan a walking route?
Don’t just follow others – planning your own walking route can be a rewarding experience, helping you discover new places or set yourself challenges.
Planning a walking route in 5 easy steps
- Pick your map.
- Decide on your route start and length.
- Plan your route.
- Check for danger points.
- Get going!
How do I plan a route with Komoot?
Selecting starting and end points on the map
Click anywhere on the map and select “Start Here“. The komoot route planner will automatically save it as your starting point. Click on another point on the map to mark your destination.