More than 9,000 participants, representing 48 states and 24 countries, today competed in the 36th Annual Chicago Triathlon.
What is the world record for the Chicago Triathlon?
- • The record for most number of participants was set in 2009 when entries for the Chicago Triathlon topped 9,200 triathletes. • While the Windy City course is fairly straightforward, winds off Lake Michigan make the Chicago Triathlon one of the world’s most challenging and unpredictable.
- 1 What does the Chicago Triathlon consist of?
- 2 How much of each is a triathlon?
- 3 What is the Chicago Triathlon Triple Challenge?
- 4 Do they provide bikes at a triathlon?
- 5 What is a super sprint triathlon?
- 6 What’s a good triathlon time?
- 7 What are the four common triathlon distances?
- 8 What is the triathlon world record?
- 9 How many miles is an Ironman?
- 10 Where is the Chicago Triathlon finish line?
- 11 Where does the Chicago Triathlon take place?
- 12 When was triathlon invented?
- 13 How long does it take to train for a triathlon?
- 14 What should you wear for a triathlon?
What does the Chicago Triathlon consist of?
2021 Chicago Triathlon Race weekend consists of five stand-alone triathlons, including the Life Time Kids Tri Chicago, SuperSprint and the Chicago Triathlon Sprint and International races. The Triple Challenge is our sixth event, consisting of three races unto itself.
How much of each is a triathlon?
How many miles is a triathlon? The most common triathlon distance follows international Olympic guidelines. It includes a swim of 0.93 miles (1.5 kilometers), a bicycle ride of 24.8 miles (40 kilometers) and a run of 6.2 miles (10 kilometers).
What is the Chicago Triathlon Triple Challenge?
Officially launched in 2007, the Triple Challenge offers a small number of triathletes the opportunity to register and compete in three events in a single weekend — for a total of 59 miles that includes: Swim: 1.63 miles. Bike: 46.3 miles. Run: 10.85 miles.
Do they provide bikes at a triathlon?
Bike. Yes, you will need a bike. No, it does not need to be expensive. We see people do triathlons on their old mountain bikes, hybrids, or other slower bikes — and especially with a couple simple modifications these bikes can do very well.
What is a super sprint triathlon?
A super sprint triathlon is the entry-level distance for most triathletes. Typically the race consists of a 400m swim, 10km bike and 2.5km run. Because of the shorter distance, super sprints often use a swimming pool for the swim – 16 lengths of a 25m pool – before heading out on to the bike course.
What’s a good triathlon time?
Also known as a standard distance triathlon, the best athletes in the world would often complete the course in 1 hour and 50 minutes. The average triathlete on the other hand would expect to take around 3 hours. This means the swim takes around 40 minutes and the 40 km bike needs to be completed in 1 hour.
What are the four common triathlon distances?
The 4 Common Triathlon Distances
- Sprint Triathlon—750 meter (0.465 mile) swim / 20 kilometer (12.5 mi) bike / 5 km (3.1 mi) run.
- Standard or Olympic Triathlon—1.5 kilometer (0.93 mile) swim / 40km (25 mi) bike / 10 km (6.2 mi) run.
What is the triathlon world record?
JAN FRODENO The 39-year-old German triathlete is the current world record holder with a staggering time of 7:35:39 for the full-distance triathlon.
How many miles is an Ironman?
Each year, over 96,000 athletes register to compete in Ironman races, representing over 90 countries, regions and territories. This triathlon distance requires a 2.4 mile swim (3.9K), 112 mile bike (180.2K), and 26.2 mile run (42.2K).
Where is the Chicago Triathlon finish line?
The finish line is located along Columbus Drive in Chicago’s Grant Park.
Where does the Chicago Triathlon take place?
August 27 – 28, 2022 For 38 years, triathletes have gathered on the shores of Lake Michigan for one of the largest triathlons in the world.
When was triathlon invented?
Triathlon was invented in the early 1970s by the San Diego Track Club as an alternative workout to the rigours of track training. The club’s first event consisted of a 10km run, an 8km cycle and a 500m swim. Over the next decade, triathlon’s popularity continued to build, and it soon gained worldwide recognition.
How long does it take to train for a triathlon?
Depending on your current level of fitness, you’ll likely need at least 8–12 weeks of consistent training before a super sprint (400-meter swim, 10K bike, 2.5K run) or sprint distance triathlon (750-meter swim, 20K bike, 5K run). Each week, plan to train 4–6 hours of total exercise time over five days.
What should you wear for a triathlon?
In a triathlon you want to wear what is called a triathlon suit or a triathlon kit (a top/bottom combo) designed to be worn in the swim, the bike, and finally the run. In other words, you do not take it off! With the exception of the wetsuit (if needed), you need not put on any other piece of clothing.