Set a Triathlon Training Plan
- When to begin: In general, if you are aiming to complete your first sprint triathlon, plan for at least 12 weeks of training prior to your event.
- Establish your swim/bike/run schedule: Complete a minimum of two sessions of each activity (swim, bike and run) during the week.
- 1 How do beginners train for a triathlon?
- 2 How do you prepare for a triathlon?
- 3 Are triathletes in good shape?
- 4 How many hours a week should I train for a triathlon?
- 5 Can I train for a triathlon in 3 months?
- 6 Can you backstroke in a triathlon?
- 7 What stroke do you swim in a triathlon?
- 8 What is the best triathlon for beginners?
- 9 What is a good first triathlon time?
- 10 When can you call yourself a triathlete?
- 11 Are triathlon athletes healthy?
- 12 How often should triathletes run?
- 13 Can you swim in just a tri suit?
- 14 How old are professional triathletes?
How do beginners train for a triathlon?
Block One: Weeks 1-3
- Work out how many minutes each day you can train.
- Divide that time into 3 swims, 2-3 bikes, 2-3 runs (7-9 sessions a week)
- For those with limited time combine the workouts: e.g. run to the pool, do a spin class followed by a run etc.
- In block one, the focus is on consistent movement and enjoyment.
How do you prepare for a triathlon?
Here is what you will need:
- Swim suit, goggles, and I recommend a cap if you have long hair.
- A bicycle that fits you and that is in good working order.
- Cycling shorts for training.
- You can use clipless pedals and cycling shoes, but they are not a “must have” item.
- A water bottle for your longer bike rides.
Are triathletes in good shape?
Triathletes are legendary for having some of the best physiques in the fitness world. That is because cross-training shapes the body in complementary ways: running develops long, lean muscles; cycling builds strength and tones your lower body; and swimming increases your flexibility and sculpts your upper body.
How many hours a week should I train for a triathlon?
The truth is that most age group triathletes excel with around 9-14 hours per week of training. You can accomplish a lot with 10 hours a week if you stay focused, put everything into your intervals and cut out all the junk miles and wasted time like long bike stop groups and hanging out in the locker room to talk.
Can I train for a triathlon in 3 months?
Sprint triathlons are a good starting point for an amateur triathlete due to the shorter distance; and can be a great challenge for the more seasoned athlete trying to improve on their record. With three months to go you should be well into your fitness training and have begun your speed training.
Can you backstroke in a triathlon?
Backstroke is rarely used during a triathlon, but it is a great stroke to incorporate into your training because it helps your shoulders unwind after sticking with one specific stroke for a while. Backstroke is extremely useful when you need a bit of a rest period or if the water is choppy on race day.
What stroke do you swim in a triathlon?
Triathlons allow swimmers to utilize any stroke and as many different strokes as preferred to propel themselves through the water. Most participants swim the front crawl (freestyle stroke) since it is the most efficient and fastest stroke. Speed is not always the highest priority when swimming in a triathlon.
What is the best triathlon for beginners?
As a triathlon beginner, we recommend starting with a sprint triathlon (generally a 500-meter swim, a 20K bike, and a 5K run), but if you’re interested in longer distances you can learn more about what those entail here.
What is a good first triathlon time?
Amateur athletes should focus on keeping their first transition under 1:30 and their second transition under 1:00. Their swim time should be less than 35 minutes, their bike time less than an hour and 35 minutes, and their run time should be less than 50 minutes. With those times, they would break three hours!
When can you call yourself a triathlete?
Q: When can you call yourself a “Triathlete” A: Whenever you want.
Are triathlon athletes healthy?
With that said, triathlon is a healthy sport to participate in due to its positive impact on our cardiovascular health, brain health and bone health.
How often should triathletes run?
Join Triathlete If you are a beginner, running three times per week is a good place to start—eventually moving up to four or five times per week depending on your race distance. For intermediate and advanced athletes, running five or six times per week can provide increased speed.
Can you swim in just a tri suit?
In a triathlon you want to wear what is called a triathlon suit or a triathlon kit (a top/bottom combo) designed to be worn in the swim, the bike, and finally the run. In other words, you do not take it off! With the exception of the wetsuit (if needed), you need not put on any other piece of clothing.
How old are professional triathletes?
‘” With triathletes ranging in age from 19 to 85 having qualified to compete in the World Championship, the average age of 2015 age groupers is 43.2, well above the average age of professional triathletes at 33.7. The overall average age is 42.8.