Set a Triathlon Training Plan
- When to begin: In general, if you are aiming to complete your first sprint triathlon, plan for at least 12 weeks of training prior to your event.
- Establish your swim/bike/run schedule: Complete a minimum of two sessions of each activity (swim, bike and run) during the week.
What do you really need to know for your first triathlon?
- Join the club. If you don’t have previous experience in triathlons,fear not!
- Get mentally geared up. It sounds cliché,but don’t forget your purpose when you get to the starting line.
- Preview and prepare. While the unexpected does happen,you can plan ahead for the vast majority of your race’s challenges.
- 1. Swim.
- 1 How far is a beginner triathlon?
- 2 What are the rules of a triathlon?
- 3 What should my first triathlon be?
- 4 How fast do triathletes run?
- 5 What’s the shortest triathlon?
- 6 What’s the difference between a triathlon and an Ironman?
- 7 Is music allowed in Ironman race?
- 8 Can I listen to music during a triathlon?
- 9 Why is drafting illegal in triathlon?
- 10 Do I need a race belt for triathlon?
- 11 How does a triathlon change your body?
- 12 Can I train for a triathlon in 4 weeks?
How far is a beginner triathlon?
For beginners just entering the triathlon scene, completing a sprint distance race is typically the most common place to start. Sprint triathlon distances include swimming 0.5 miles (750 meter/2,460 feet), cycling 12.4 miles (20 kilometers), and running 3.1 miles (5 kilometers).
What are the rules of a triathlon?
While on the bike course, you must keep at least three bike lengths (22 feet) behind the athlete in front of you. If you move closer than three bike lengths you are in the draft zone and must now pass. Once passing, you have 15 seconds for your front wheel to pass the front wheel of the athlete you are overtaking.
What should my first triathlon be?
Most beginners will probably be choosing a sprint distance triathlon as their first event, or possibly an Olympic. For these races, especially a sprint distance, you can feasibly train for them in around 10-20 weeks (possibly more or less depending on your current fitness level.
How fast do triathletes run?
Not only are transition times mere seconds, but the overall pace is often extremely fast, hovering just above a 5-minute mile run pace. High-caliber professionals will often finish Olympic triathlons in around 2 hours or less, with the men’s record currently at just over 1 hour, 46 minutes.
What’s the shortest triathlon?
Perfectly suited for beginners looking to complete their first triathlon, the super sprint distance is the shortest triathlon at most venues. It usually consists of a 500-meter (0.3-mile) swim, a 10K (6.2-mile) bike and a 2.5K (1.6-mile) run.
What’s the difference between a triathlon and an Ironman?
With the Ironman Triathlon covering so many miles and taking a full day to compete, training and preparation is a long but extremely important process. For example, if you were to take part in a Sprint Triathlon or an Olympic Standard Triathlon, this could be done with a few months of preparation.
Is music allowed in Ironman race?
Rule 1: Unplug your iPod. For safety’s sake, you can’t blast “Born to Run”, or any music, during the race.
Can I listen to music during a triathlon?
No Tunes, No Selfies Headphones, headsets and audio devices are not allowed at any time during any triathlon event. Most races allow you to carry your cell phone if you wish, but it must be stored out of sight in a bike bag or jersey pocket.
Why is drafting illegal in triathlon?
But why exactly is bike drafting in triathlons is illegal? bike drafting is illegal because it creates an inappropriate advantage for the drafting cyclists, helping them save 15 to 30 percent of cycling energy at the expense of another triathlete.
Do I need a race belt for triathlon?
You can race without a belt, but it is nice to have one.
How does a triathlon change your body?
Triathletes are legendary for having some of the best physiques in the fitness world. That is because cross-training shapes the body in complementary ways: running develops long, lean muscles; cycling builds strength and tones your lower body; and swimming increases your flexibility and sculpts your upper body.
Can I train for a triathlon in 4 weeks?
Realistically you’re looking at a sprint triathlon (750m/20km/5km). Not only will you need to get fit in four weeks, but you’ll need to learn some essential race skills too. Examples include running off the bike, swimming in open water and practising your transitions.