Sprint. This is the most common starting point for triathletes. While it can vary course to course, generally a sprint triathlon includes a 750-meter (0.46-mile) swim, a 20K (12.4-mile) bike and a 5K (3.1-mile) run.
- 1 What are the four common triathlon distances?
- 2 What is a standard triathlon distance?
- 3 What’s a good time for a sprint triathlon?
- 4 What is a mini sprint triathlon?
- 5 Is there a triathlon without swimming?
- 6 How do you prepare for a sprint triathlon?
- 7 What is the distance of a sprint?
- 8 Is a triathlon harder than a marathon?
- 9 How long should a 750m swim take?
- 10 How many laps is 750 meters in a pool?
- 11 Should I wear a wetsuit for a sprint triathlon?
- 12 How do you taper for a sprint triathlon?
- 13 What is a good first triathlon time?
- 14 Is a sprint triathlon hard?
What are the four common triathlon distances?
The 4 Common Triathlon Distances
- Sprint Triathlon—750 meter (0.465 mile) swim / 20 kilometer (12.5 mi) bike / 5 km (3.1 mi) run.
- Standard or Olympic Triathlon—1.5 kilometer (0.93 mile) swim / 40km (25 mi) bike / 10 km (6.2 mi) run.
What is a standard triathlon distance?
In simple terms, each leg of a triathlon can be broken down by the following distances in miles (and kilometers): Sprint Triathlon: Swim 0.5 miles (750m), Bike 12.4 miles (20km), Run 3.1 miles (5km), Olympic Triathlon: Swim 0.93 miles (1.5km), Bike 24.8 miles (40km), Run 6.2 miles (10km)
What’s a good time for a sprint triathlon?
In short, we can say a good average sprint-distance time for men is 1:25:57; for women, we’re talking just under 10 mins more at 1:33:45. Of course, there are numerous variables that might make the average sprint finisher time faster or slower than this time.
What is a mini sprint triathlon?
Popular sport combines cross-training, camaraderie Try a mini-triathlon! The sprint tri — affectionately dubbed a mini-triathlon — typically includes a half-mile swim, 12-mile bike ride and three-mile run, in that order. Distances vary depending on the race and course.
Is there a triathlon without swimming?
The alternative is called a duathlon. A duathlon is some variation of bike and run. Usually it is run-bike-run. You could also participate in a triathlon on a relay team.
How do you prepare for a sprint triathlon?
Set a Triathlon Training Plan
- When to begin: In general, if you are aiming to complete your first sprint triathlon, plan for at least 12 weeks of training prior to your event.
- Establish your swim/bike/run schedule: Complete a minimum of two sessions of each activity (swim, bike and run) during the week.
What is the distance of a sprint?
A sprint is a short running race. In a track and field competition there are generally three different sprint distances: 100m, 200m, and 400m. The original Olympic event, the stadion race, was a sprint of around 180m. A sprint race starts out with the runners in starting blocks in their lane.
Is a triathlon harder than a marathon?
A marathon is a set distance but a triathlon varies. So let’s assume you mean a full Ironman triathlon- then the answer is easy: the triathlon is harder, due to the need to train 3 sports, with the run distance being the same as the stand alone marathon, but coming after a swim, and bike in the triathlon.
How long should a 750m swim take?
Realistically, for an open water 750m swim, we want to be under the 20 minute mark. We know that 15 minute swim times can be done by those swimming at 2:00/100m, 20 mins is broken for those swimming 2:40s or faster. This is quite a big difference, so it is worth targeting a CSS pace of 2:30/100m.
How many laps is 750 meters in a pool?
How many laps is 750 Meters? Down and back 15 times. Just be 100% sure you are swimming in a meter pool and not a yard pool. If it is truly a 1/2 Olympic pool it will be a meter pool.
Should I wear a wetsuit for a sprint triathlon?
While they may save you time while swimming, you still have to get out of the wetsuit. So, to sum it up, for a short swim of a super sprint or sprint triathlon, the time savings of wearing a wetsuit can be negligible. It is really a toss-up to how you feel on race morning and what you have trained for.
How do you taper for a sprint triathlon?
How long should I taper for? The general rule is: the longer the race, the longer the taper. You want to try and drop your weekly training volume by 20–25% for each week that you are tapering. If you’re doing a sprint triathlon, you won’t need weeks and weeks of tapering when a few days will do.
What is a good first triathlon time?
Amateur athletes should focus on keeping their first transition under 1:30 and their second transition under 1:00. Their swim time should be less than 35 minutes, their bike time less than an hour and 35 minutes, and their run time should be less than 50 minutes. With those times, they would break three hours!
Is a sprint triathlon hard?
Beginner sprint triathlon training Competing in a triathlon is a physically demanding task. Even sprint triathlon, which is a short distance triathlon, can take several weeks or months of training, depending on your level of physical fitness. The essential part of sprint triathlon training is improving your endurance.