Triathlon Distances: Ironman, Olympic, Sprint, Super Sprint Super League
|World Triathlon/ITU long Course||2km||20km|
What are the distances for each event in a triathlon?
- – Sprint Triathlon: 12.4 miles (20km) Bike – Olympic Triathlon: 24.8 miles (40km) Bike – ITU Long Course Triathlon: 49.6 miles (80km) Bike – Half Ironman / 70.3 Triathlon: 56 miles (90km) Bike – Full Ironman Triathlon: 112 miles (180km) Bike
- 1 What are the 4 triathlon distances?
- 2 What are the lengths in a triathlon?
- 3 What are different types of triathlons?
- 4 What is a regular triathlon?
- 5 How long is a half Ironman?
- 6 Why is swimming first in a triathlon?
- 7 What is a good triathlon time for a beginner?
- 8 What is a half triathlon called?
- 9 What is Olympic triathlon distance?
- 10 What is a reverse triathlon?
- 11 Is there a triathlon without swimming?
- 12 How fast do Olympic triathletes run?
What are the 4 triathlon distances?
The 4 Common Triathlon Distances
- Sprint Triathlon—750 meter (0.465 mile) swim / 20 kilometer (12.5 mi) bike / 5 km (3.1 mi) run.
- Standard or Olympic Triathlon—1.5 kilometer (0.93 mile) swim / 40km (25 mi) bike / 10 km (6.2 mi) run.
What are the lengths in a triathlon?
Olympic triathlon distances are a 0.93-mile (1.5-kilometer) swim, 24.8-mile (40-kilometer) bike, and 6.2-mile (10-kilometer) run, exactly double the length of a sprint triathlon.
What are different types of triathlons?
There are four common types of triathlons, and the distances covered get longer as you progress from one to the next.
- Sprint. The sprint distance is great for those new to triathlons.
- Olympic Triathlon.
- Half Triathlon.
- Go Big or Go Home – Full Triathlon.
What is a regular triathlon?
How many miles is a triathlon? The most common triathlon distance follows international Olympic guidelines. It includes a swim of 0.93 miles (1.5 kilometers), a bicycle ride of 24.8 miles (40 kilometers) and a run of 6.2 miles (10 kilometers).
How long is a half Ironman?
Half Ironman Triathlon The Half Ironman is the primer for the ultimate race: the Ironman. This distance ( 70.3 miles ) will test both your mental and physical strength as you swim 1.2 miles (1.9K), bike 56 miles (90K), and run 13.1 miles (21.1K).
Why is swimming first in a triathlon?
Swimming is the most hazardous of the three sports from a safety perspective. Most casualties in Triathlons are during this leg for quite obvious reasons: if you stop swimming, you drown. It’s, therefore, best to avoid a risk of drowning from exhaustion and it makes a lot of sense putting the swim leg first.
What is a good triathlon time for a beginner?
For the beginner triathlete, it will take about 1 hour 50 minutes to complete their first sprint distance triathlon. If we break down the average sprint triathlon time, this should take the novice triathlete around 2 minutes per 100 m in the swim. 1 hour for the bike leg, and up to 30 minutes to complete the run.
What is a half triathlon called?
An Ironman 70.3, also known as a Half Ironman, is one of a series of long-distance triathlon races organized by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC). Each distance of the swim, bike, and run segments is half the distance of that segment in an Ironman Triathlon.
What is Olympic triathlon distance?
Triathlon races are held over four distances: Sprint, Olympic, Double Olympic and Triple Olympic. The Olympic triathlon comprises a 1.5km swim, a 40km bike ride, and a 10km run.
What is a reverse triathlon?
The name says it all. In a reverse triathlon, racers start off in their running shoes, then hop on their bikes and finish in the water. The order of a traditional triathlon swim/bike/run is based on two things: safety issues and smooth transitions.
Is there a triathlon without swimming?
The alternative is called a duathlon. A duathlon is some variation of bike and run. Usually it is run-bike-run. You could also participate in a triathlon on a relay team.
How fast do Olympic triathletes run?
Not only are transition times mere seconds, but the overall pace is often extremely fast, hovering just above a 5-minute mile run pace. High-caliber professionals will often finish Olympic triathlons in around 2 hours or less, with the men’s record currently at just over 1 hour, 46 minutes.