Long course triathlon consists of the half ironman and full ironman. In a half ironman, athletes complete a 1.9km swim, 90km bike, and 21km run. In a full ironman, athletes complete a 3.8km swim, 180km bike, and 42km run. The swim portion is always completed in open water, where athletes are able to wear wetsuits.
- Long course triathlon or “Iron-distance” is often an umbrella term used to describe both Ironman and half-Ironman distance triathlon. Half-Ironman’s are also called “70.3” races based on the combined mileage for all three disciplines (full-Ironman distance is 140.6 miles).
- 1 What is considered long course triathlon?
- 2 How long is a short course triathlon?
- 3 What is a short course triathlon?
- 4 What is a good triathlon time for a beginner?
- 5 What’s the difference between a triathlon and an Ironman?
- 6 What is Olympic triathlon distance?
- 7 How hard is an Olympic triathlon?
- 8 What is a super sprint triathlon?
- 9 How long should a 1500m swim take?
- 10 How old is Duffy?
- 11 What distance is a 5K?
- 12 What are the four common triathlon distances?
- 13 What is a good time for a 750 meter swim?
What is considered long course triathlon?
Long course triathlon or “Iron-distance” is often an umbrella term used to describe both Ironman and half-Ironman distance triathlon. Half-Ironman’s are also called “70.3” races based on the combined mileage for all three disciplines (full-Ironman distance is 140.6 miles).
How long is a short course triathlon?
As the name implies, sprint triathlons are the shortest category of races. Sprint triathlon distances include swimming 0.5 miles (750 meter/2,460 feet), cycling 12.4 miles (20 kilometers), and running 3.1 miles (5 kilometers).
What is a short course triathlon?
Sprint triathlons are short-distance triathlons, usually consisting of a 750-meter swim, 20k-bike ride and a 5k-run. This is half the distance of an Olympic triathlon and less than a quarter of the distance of the Ironman.
What is a good triathlon time for a beginner?
For the beginner triathlete, it will take about 1 hour 50 minutes to complete their first sprint distance triathlon. If we break down the average sprint triathlon time, this should take the novice triathlete around 2 minutes per 100 m in the swim. 1 hour for the bike leg, and up to 30 minutes to complete the run.
What’s the difference between a triathlon and an Ironman?
With the Ironman Triathlon covering so many miles and taking a full day to compete, training and preparation is a long but extremely important process. For example, if you were to take part in a Sprint Triathlon or an Olympic Standard Triathlon, this could be done with a few months of preparation.
What is Olympic triathlon distance?
Triathlon races are held over four distances: Sprint, Olympic, Double Olympic and Triple Olympic. The Olympic triathlon comprises a 1.5km swim, a 40km bike ride, and a 10km run.
How hard is an Olympic triathlon?
More to Chew On The distances essentially double—an Olympic-distance triathlon includes a 0.93-mile (1.5K) swim, a 24.8-mile (40K) bike and a 6.2-mile (10K) run. It’s just far enough to challenge you without making your training feel overwhelming.
What is a super sprint triathlon?
A super sprint triathlon is the entry-level distance for most triathletes. Typically the race consists of a 400m swim, 10km bike and 2.5km run. Because of the shorter distance, super sprints often use a swimming pool for the swim – 16 lengths of a 25m pool – before heading out on to the bike course.
How long should a 1500m swim take?
You basically go for as many laps as you can in 30 min. While there is a debate on the true value of this swim as it’s directed by most non-TI masters coaches, if you swim at a pace of 2:00 per 100m, then you should make 1500m in 30 min.
How old is Duffy?
The most common triathlon distance follows international Olympic guidelines: A swim of 0.93 miles (1.5 kilometers), a bicycle route of 24.8 miles (40 kilometers) and a run of 6.2 miles (10 kilometers).
What distance is a 5K?
A 5K run is 3.1 miles. Don’t be daunted by the distance. A 5K run is a great distance for a beginner. You can prepare for a 5K run in just two months.
What are the four common triathlon distances?
The 4 Common Triathlon Distances
- Sprint Triathlon—750 meter (0.465 mile) swim / 20 kilometer (12.5 mi) bike / 5 km (3.1 mi) run.
- Standard or Olympic Triathlon—1.5 kilometer (0.93 mile) swim / 40km (25 mi) bike / 10 km (6.2 mi) run.
What is a good time for a 750 meter swim?
Realistically, for an open water 750m swim, we want to be under the 20 minute mark. We know that 15 minute swim times can be done by those swimming at 2:00/100m, 20 mins is broken for those swimming 2:40s or faster. This is quite a big difference, so it is worth targeting a CSS pace of 2:30/100m.