What do you really need to know for your first triathlon?
- Join the club. If you don’t have previous experience in triathlons,fear not!
- Get mentally geared up. It sounds cliché,but don’t forget your purpose when you get to the starting line.
- Preview and prepare. While the unexpected does happen,you can plan ahead for the vast majority of your race’s challenges.
- 1. Swim.
- 1 What should I bring to a triathlon?
- 2 What do I need for my first triathlon?
- 3 What do you wear during a triathlon?
- 4 Do you change clothes in a triathlon?
- 5 Do you wear socks in triathlon?
- 6 How much should you eat during a triathlon?
- 7 Do triathlons provide bikes?
- 8 Can you swim in tri suit?
- 9 Do triathletes Pee on the bike?
- 10 Do you change shoes in a triathlon?
- 11 Do you wear a bra with a tri suit?
- 12 Can you rest during a triathlon swim?
- 13 Are tri suits worth it?
- 14 Do you wear a tri suit under wetsuit?
What should I bring to a triathlon?
The Must-Have Triathlon List:
- Wear your triathlon clothing and shoes. For many, we simply recommend wearing your tri shorts and your tri top or shirt to the race.
- Bike. This might seem obvious, but people have forgotten bikes before.
- Bike Carrier.
- Bike Shoes.
- Swim Goggles.
- Wetsuit, if needed.
- Bike helmet.
What do I need for my first triathlon?
- Tri suit or swimsuit.
- Antifog solution for goggles.
- Bodyglide (skin lubricant)
- Pre-race sandals or other footwear.
What do you wear during a triathlon?
In a triathlon you want to wear what is called a triathlon suit or a triathlon kit (a top/bottom combo) designed to be worn in the swim, the bike, and finally the run. In other words, you do not take it off! With the exception of the wetsuit (if needed), you need not put on any other piece of clothing.
Do you change clothes in a triathlon?
Clothing for a Triathlon You can opt to change into clothes specific to each leg of the race —or not. Some triathletes choose to do the whole race in a swimsuit for quicker transitions. Other swimmers simply pull on a pair of shorts before jumping on their bike.
Do you wear socks in triathlon?
Most pro triathletes don’t wear socks for sprint and Olympic distance events and are wearing some for longer events. However, over a full Ironman distance, it is rather insignificant. The comfort of socks over such a big distance is, for most people, well worth those couple of seconds.
How much should you eat during a triathlon?
Eating and drinking during events During Olympic distance and sprint distance triathlon racing, athletes should aim to consume between 30-60g of carbohydrate each hour. This can be achieved through a combination of sports drinks, carbohydrate gels and through solid forms of carbohydrate e.g. Sports bars or muesli bars.
Do triathlons provide bikes?
The most common bicycles found in a typical race transition area include triathlon, road, mountain and hybrid. As the race becomes more competitive, such as USA Triathlon National Championships or IRONMAN, the majority of bicycles in the transition area are triathlon bikes and perhaps a few road bikes.
Can you swim in tri suit?
A “tri suit” is one choice of garment you can wear through the entire race. This helps make the suit more comfortable for swimming. After the swim, the thin pad dries out quickly and doesn’t feel like a big, wet diaper on the bike ride.
Do triathletes Pee on the bike?
On to the matter at hand – yes, some triathletes do, in fact, pee on their bikes. If it’s not obvious, triathletes pee while riding their bike so they don’t have to stop – saving precious time for competitive races.
Do you change shoes in a triathlon?
Most triathletes use two different sets of shoes during a triathlon. Obviously, nothing is worn on your feet during the swim or Transition 1. If that is the case, you can wear your running shoes on the bike ride. For the run, wear the shoes you have been doing your run training in – normally a standard running shoe.
Do you wear a bra with a tri suit?
You should not wear underwear (except a sports bra) under your trisuit in a race. Our female-specific triathlon chamois is made to be comfortable against your skin and to protect you from chafing and discomfort on the bike, and is thin and light enough to be comfortable on the run.
Can you rest during a triathlon swim?
Yes, you are allowed to rest during the swimming segment of a triathlon. Any participant is allowed to rest anytime during a triathlon, or any event for that matter. Resting is vital to a participants health and safety when needed so it is important to stop and rest if need be.
Are tri suits worth it?
Triathlon suits: Not necessary, but nice-to-have. A good triathlon suit is designed specifically for triathlon, and offers benefits that may help you race faster and be as comfortable as possible. On the downside, triathlon suits can be expensive, and you can easily do triathlons without them.
Do you wear a tri suit under wetsuit?
For open water swims, the use of a triathlon wetsuit is usually mandatory. Under the wetsuit you would wear the tri suit or tri top & shorts. You may also need a neoprene skull cap, a pair of swim gloves and pair of booties in really cold conditions.