Anything that is comfortable and keeps you covered in transition works well. Once you start racing consistently, a typical race ‘kit’ would include a singlet (tri top) and triathlon shorts, or a one-piece tri suit. Triathlon racing attire is designed for speed, flexibility and comfort in all three disciplines.
What do you wear to compete in a triathlon?
- Tri Cycling Gear Bicycle. Most types of bikes-mountain, road or triathlon-specific-are fine to compete in a triathlon. Bike Shoes. Stiff-soled cycling shoes give you far more power than running shoes do. Helmet. Socks. Sunglasses. Tools. Cycling Gloves. Race Belts. Nutrition.
- 1 What should I bring to a triathlon transition?
- 2 Do you change clothes during a triathlon?
- 3 How should I dress for my first triathlon?
- 4 Do you wear socks in triathlon?
- 5 Do you wear a tri suit under wetsuit?
- 6 Do triathletes Pee on the bike?
- 7 What do females wear for a triathlon?
- 8 Can you wear headphones during triathlon?
- 9 Can I swim in a tri suit?
- 10 Can you do a triathlon shirtless?
- 11 Can you wear tri shorts for the swim?
- 12 How can I speed up my triathlon transitions?
- 13 How do you transition faster?
- 14 How do you reduce transition time in a triathlon?
What should I bring to a triathlon transition?
- Tri suit or swimsuit.
- Antifog solution for goggles.
- Bodyglide (skin lubricant)
- Pre-race sandals or other footwear.
Do you change clothes during a triathlon?
Clothing for a Triathlon You can opt to change into clothes specific to each leg of the race —or not. Some triathletes choose to do the whole race in a swimsuit for quicker transitions. Other swimmers simply pull on a pair of shorts before jumping on their bike. In general, tri clothing should fit snugly.
How should I dress for my first triathlon?
In a triathlon you want to wear what is called a triathlon suit or a triathlon kit (a top/bottom combo) designed to be worn in the swim, the bike, and finally the run. In other words, you do not take it off! With the exception of the wetsuit (if needed), you need not put on any other piece of clothing.
Do you wear socks in triathlon?
Most pro triathletes don’t wear socks for sprint and Olympic distance events and are wearing some for longer events. However, over a full Ironman distance, it is rather insignificant. The comfort of socks over such a big distance is, for most people, well worth those couple of seconds.
Do you wear a tri suit under wetsuit?
For open water swims, the use of a triathlon wetsuit is usually mandatory. Under the wetsuit you would wear the tri suit or tri top & shorts. You may also need a neoprene skull cap, a pair of swim gloves and pair of booties in really cold conditions.
Do triathletes Pee on the bike?
On to the matter at hand – yes, some triathletes do, in fact, pee on their bikes. If it’s not obvious, triathletes pee while riding their bike so they don’t have to stop – saving precious time for competitive races.
What do females wear for a triathlon?
Some women can get away with a tight triathlon suit, while others are more comfortable in a sporty swimsuit top or a moisture-wicking sports bra that will not get saturated during the swim. Make sure all your attire, including your sports bra, is ‘tried and true’ come race day.
Can you wear headphones during triathlon?
Headphones, headsets and audio devices are not allowed at any time during any triathlon event. Most races allow you to carry your cell phone if you wish, but it must be stored out of sight in a bike bag or jersey pocket.
Can I swim in a tri suit?
The top is usually sleeveless. The bottom is similar to a cycling short, with jammer length legs, but the pad in the tri short is lightweight. This helps make the suit more comfortable for swimming. After the swim, the thin pad dries out quickly and doesn’t feel like a big, wet diaper on the bike ride.
Can you do a triathlon shirtless?
Male triathletes have the option of continuing shirtless for the cycling portion of the race, or putting on a shirt. Sunglasses are a good idea, and official triathlons require all cyclists to wear approved safety helmets for the duration of the bike ride.
Can you wear tri shorts for the swim?
Note, however, that tri shorts are not intended to be used in chlorinated pools. Doing so will wear them out quickly. Most triathletes who we know reserve their tri shorts for bricks (combo bike and run workouts) and race day, using swim jammers in the pool and cycling shorts on their longer rides.
How can I speed up my triathlon transitions?
Faster Transitions: Save Five Minutes
- Get in the habit. Start learning how to save precious seconds in the weeks and months leading up to your race.
- Know your kit. Don’t leave anything to chance.
- Don’t pack too light.
- Set it up.
- Last-minute tip.
- Walk the walk.
- Mind games.
- Mark your spot.
How do you transition faster?
Here are some pro techniques you can use to make your transitions faster.
- Begin practicing fast transitions now.
- Leave your shoes in the pedals and use rubber bands.
- Put your sunglasses on while pedaling.
- Use a flying mount and dismount.
- Use elastic laces and no socks.
- Use a movie camera.
How do you reduce transition time in a triathlon?
Five Tips To Reduce Your Transition Times in a Triathlon
- 1) Don’t Take a Suitcase-Full of Gear into Transition.
- 2) Don’t Eat or Drink in Transition, You Can Do that Later.
- 3) Race Someone Through Transition.
- 4) Lube up if You’re Wearing a Wetsuit and Practice Taking It Off.
- 5) Leave Your Cycling Shoes OFF the Bike.