Should you wear a tri suit or a wetsuit?
- Since these waters are often cold, a wetsuit can keep you warm and safe while you’re swimming. However, if you’ll be swimming in warm (or at least warmer) water, a tri suit should be all you need. Beginner swimmers may want to stick with a full wetsuit, especially for their first triathlon.
- 1 How thick should my wetsuit be for a triathlon?
- 2 Are Xterra wetsuits always on sale?
- 3 Can I use a surfing wetsuit for triathlon?
- 4 Can you wear a shorty wetsuit for a triathlon?
- 5 Do you wear anything under a wetsuit?
- 6 Do triathlon wetsuits keep you warm?
- 7 How thick are Xterra wetsuits?
- 8 Does Xterra ship to Canada?
- 9 Can you wear a normal wetsuit for a triathlon?
- 10 Can you open water swim in a normal wetsuit?
- 11 What is wetsuit legal for triathlon?
- 12 Are wetsuits worth it?
- 13 Do you wear tri top under wetsuit?
- 14 Is it easier swimming in a wetsuit?
How thick should my wetsuit be for a triathlon?
USAT, ITU and WTC (Ironman) have rules restricting the thickness of the wetsuit to no more than 5mm. Most brands will put the thickest rubber on the front torso and legs to give the heaviest areas of your body the most buoyancy. Thinner rubber (1.5-2mm) at the shoulders allows for greater flexibility and arm speed.
Are Xterra wetsuits always on sale?
Xterra’s wetsuits are high-quality across the board, as are Blueseventy’s. Found on sale, you get wetsuits that you can literally swim in for years. Unlike some of the other makers, though, Xterra is always offering something on sale — so it is always worth checking out.
Can I use a surfing wetsuit for triathlon?
So, the answer is yes – you can legally race in a surf wetsuit as long as it’s 5mm in thickness or under, but you might get a bit hot or lose energy with each stroke compared to the race-focused triathlon suit.
Can you wear a shorty wetsuit for a triathlon?
You may wear a wetsuit if the temperature is 79 (26°C) degrees to 84 (28.9°C) degrees but you won’t be eligible for awards. Anything 85 (29.5°C) degrees or over, no wetsuits are allowed. Competitors may wear ‘shorty’ style wetsuits, but should be aware that they offer less protection against the cold.
Do you wear anything under a wetsuit?
It is a common question, and the answer is no, a wetsuit is not waterproof! You must bare this in mind when deciding what to wear under a wetsuit, as anything under the suit will get wet. Some thicker suits are knows as “Semi-Dry” suits, but again, whatever you wear, will get wet!
Do triathlon wetsuits keep you warm?
Wetsuits used in diving and water sports are designed to keep you warm. Triathlon wetsuits are not only designed to keep you warm but they also can keep you cool enough to prevent overheating. Made from neoprene, the thickness of the fabric varies with triathlon wetsuit brands.
How thick are Xterra wetsuits?
The wetsuit comes in a thickness range of 2-3 mm depending on the area and makes it lightweight and natural to wear. Moreover, it is thick and retains body heat to keep your muscles warmer for better performance.
Does Xterra ship to Canada?
– We ship directly to Canada through Federal Express International Economy Shipping. – Estimated transit times from San Diego, California to Canada using Federal Express International Economy is 2-7 Business Days. – Orders placed before 10am normally ship on the same business day.
Can you wear a normal wetsuit for a triathlon?
You could wear a water-sports wetsuit for a triathlon, although you will find it significantly harder both during the swim and also getting it off in transition. A water-sports suit is likely to be enough of a hindrance that you won’t need to worry about being in the mix for the medals.
Can you open water swim in a normal wetsuit?
If you pick the wetsuit option, make sure it fits properly — and that it’s fit for purpose. Above all, don’t listen to the banter. Skins or wetsuit, there’s no right or wrong way to enjoy swimming in open water.
What is wetsuit legal for triathlon?
USAT Wetsuit Rules USAT rules state that competitors may wear wetsuits if the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower. USAT rules also state that if the water temperature is between 78.1 – 83.9 degrees, competitors may wear wetsuits but will not be eligible for awards.
Are wetsuits worth it?
Owning a wetsuit is beneficial for everyone, from amateur to pro. Body heat is lost 20 times more in water than air due to the higher density, encouraging more conduction. So you don’t have to be the world’s biggest water enthusiast to feel the need to keep warm.
Do you wear tri top under wetsuit?
Tri shorts are a key piece of equipment to have on for the whole race. As for the top, men and women might both consider wearing a singlet — a tri-specific top — which can also be worn under the wetsuit. Those who go all-out and choose to wear an actual triathlon suit can easily wear that under the wetsuit.
Is it easier swimming in a wetsuit?
In cold water, a wetsuit makes it easier to swim by keeping you warm. While a thinner wetsuit will be less buoyant than a thicker wetsuit, either will help you float while expending less energy.